27 Apr How to add alt-text for better SEO and accessibility
Adding alt-text to your images on Instagram, Facebook and WordPress
What is alt-text used for?
Alt-text (alternative text) is a description or tag used to describe an image on a webpage. It’s critical to add alt-text to your images for multiple reasons:
- Visually impaired users browsing via screen readers can use alt-text to see a description of on-page images
- If an image fails to load alt-text will be displayed instead
- Search engine crawlers (like Google) use alt-text to help index an image properly.
How to write effective alt-text
It may not come as a shock that spamming keywords is not best practise when writing alt-text. It’s best to keep wording succinct and sufficiently descriptive, while containing important keywords. Imagine you are describing the image to someone on the opposite side of the screen: if you can listen to the description and picture something similar to the image in your mind, you’re on the right track, if you can do it quickly that’s even better.
Adding alt-text to Facebook
Add alt-text when posting
- Click Photo/Video at the top of your News Feed.
- Select the photo you want to add.
- Hover over the photo and click Edit.
- The automatically generated text will be shown on the left side of your photo.
- Click Override generated alt text to edit it.
- Write your alt text in the box. To change back to the automatically generated text, click Clear.
- To save your alt text, click Save in the bottom left.
Change the alt text of a photo after you’ve posted it
- Click the photo to open it.
- Click in the top right and select Change Alt Text.
- Click Override generated alt text or change the alt text in the text box. You can also click Clear to change your edited alt text back to the automatically generated text.
- Click Save.
Adding alt-text to Instagram
Add alt-text when posting
- Tap on the Advanced Settings option on this upload screen.
- Then tap on the Write Alt Text section to access the screen to add your text.
- On the next screen, you see the image you’re tagging and a text box where you can write your alt text description. Add your alt text accordingly and tap Save when complete to return to the post upload screen.
Add alt-text to previously published posts
- To add alt text to old Instagram posts, you need to select each post and manually edit it. To edit the post, tap on the three-dot button in the top-right corner of the post.
- From the pop-up screen, tap the Edit option to open the editing screen for your Instagram post.
- Once you’re in the edit mode of your post, you’ll see the Aa icon and Edit Alt Text in the bottom-right corner of the image. Tap on this button to access the alt text screen.
Adding Alt-Text to WordPress images via the media library
- Login to your WordPress dashboard and find the Media Library in the sidebar.
- Upload new media, or click Edit on an existing image.
- When selecting the image you should see a field like the image above reading Alt text.
If you’re struggling to apply alt-text, or need someone to help you create a website using best SEO practises get in touch! Our friendly team are always at-the-ready to help your business put it’s best foot forward online.